Make a foundation chain of 20 stitches for practice piece.
1. Te begin row, yarn over and insert hook from the front under the two top threads of 4th chain from hook (figure 18).
2. Yarn over and draw through stitch. There are now three loops on hook.
3. Yarn over (figure 19) and draw through 2 loops. (Two loops remain on hook, figure 20).
4. Yarn over again and draw through the two remaining loops. (One loop remains on hook). One double crochet (dc) is now completed (figure 21).
5. For next double crochet, yarn over, insert hook from the front under the two top threads of next stitch and proceed as before. (Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4).
6. Repeat until you have made a double crochet in each chain.
7. At end of row, chain 3 (ch 3) (figure 22) and turn. The 3 chains count as first double crochet in next row.
1. To begin row, yarn over, insert hook from the front under the two top threads of the 5th stitch from hook. (Second stitch on previous row).
2. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 (figure 23).
THIRD AND FOURTH ROWS:
1. Repeat second row.
2. Finish off at end of fourth row by cutting thread about 3 inches away from last double crochet. Bring end through the loop and pull tightly.